In an effort to make good on my promise to provide more advanced topics I am releasing this video on building a site network and exactly how and why to do it. How to do it strategically, how to create link relationships, how to occasionally use the Press, how to build both big and small satellite sites, etc.
The big thing I want to caution you with though is don’t loose focus on your primary site. The biggest problem most of you guys seem to have is chasing 20 ideas instead of really doing one and doing it well. So understand a site network is a very powerful tool. It is something you build over the long haul unless you have the resources to have the work done for you vs. doing it yourself and even then phasing it in over a year or two or more will still make sense.
On your commitment to daily content creation though, sites in your satellite network DO NOT COUNT. So it really makes sense to work on your primary site for 3-6 months daily at a minimum before you start building out a network. It will also help you if you do the following….
- Become very familiar with WordPress so you can use it to quietly build your mini sites. WordPress doesn’t have to look like a blog or even have posts you can do a 4-5 page mini site with it very quickly and easily using many of the free themes available out there. Here is one example – Jack’s Online Business Card
- Do your first few mini sites are pretty small undertakings, a top ten list of associated sites or something like that. Something fast you can do in a day to 3 days max. It will give you confidence and get you going faster.
- Learn to reuse and more accurately re-purpose your content. Combine several bits of old content to make one new piece on your sat sites.
- Make and keep a list of anywhere and everywhere you can post content and get links without the rel=”nofollow” attribute, we should perhaps do part of this one on the forum together. To aid with this get the “search status” extension for FireFox and keep the “high light no follow links” option on.
- Consider hiring some copywriters to do up copy for your sites, then you can just slap them together.
- Keep track of the links you build and the link relationships you create. Don’t fear reciprocal links or three way associations but keep a lot of variance in your link structures.
- When you are setting up stuff like blogspot blogs, tumblr blogs, hubpages, etc just for links, bang em out fast, get it done. You ain’t writing great pose for such things just get enough content out that is in the niche for it to count with Google and move on.
- Do keep great records of every site you create profiles for so if something comes up you can add links, modify content etc. RoboForm Excels for this purpose and will make you life a lot easier. If you want to try RoboForm for free you can do that by just right clicking and selecting save as on this link.