Talk to a new person to seach marketing and they may not even know what a title or description tag is, perfectly understandable. Talk to a novice search marketer and they may have a rudimentary understanding of what these factors are, how to use them and how they effect things, fair enough. The really shocking thing is how many really experienced and actually quite successful SEO’s out there do not really get how to use title and description tags properly.
There are some basic rules to title tags and description tags. They are…
- Use your primary key words and phrases ONE TIME in each
- Limit your title tag to 60 characters
- Limit your description tag to 160 characters
- Make both tags unique on ever single page of your website
- Good Search Engine Watch Article on How to Write Meta Tags
- Meta Tags are Advertising Copy – This guy gets it.
- More on Writing Tags Like Ad Copy – Rand Fishkin gets it folks, he is one of the best.